(back cover) Orphaned as soon as he is born, Oliver Twist seems destined for a life of misery. Miraculously, he survives years of neglect, hunger, and violence. On his eighth birthday he is taken to the workhouse, and now his troubles are really about to begin. Find out what happens to Oliver in this vivid graphic novel retelling of Charles Dickens' literary classic. This darkly satiric indictment of the social ills of Victorian London tells the story of a young orphan who becomes involved with a gang of criminals.
THIS ENRICHED CLASSIC EDITION INCLUDES:
- A concise introduction that gives the reader important background information
- A chronology of the author's life and work
- A timeline of significant events that provides the books historical context
- An outline of key themes and plot points to guide the reader's own interpretations
- Detailed explanatory notes
- Critical analysis, including contemporary and modern perspectives on the work
- Discussion questions to promote lively classroom and book group interaction
- A list of recommended related books and films to broaden the readers experience
Enriched Classics offer readers affordable editions of great works of literature enhanced by helpful notes and insightful commentary. The scholarship provided in Enriched Classics enables readers to appreciate, understand, and enjoy the worlds finest books to their full potential.
Classic Starts: Oliver Twist
By RICHA BHATNAGAR,
THE BOOK IS VERY GOOD.......FOR KIDS AS WELL AS FOR ADULTS........THE STORY IS FULL OF HAPPY AND SAD MOMENTS............KIDS WILL UNDERSTAND MORE ABOUT EMOTIONS........THEY WILL START RESPECTING THEIR PARENTS MORE THAN THEY DO......AND WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT BEING AN ORPHAN MEANS
Oliver: The Child Protagonist
By Mohit Dayal,
Oliver Twist is the second novel of the late Charles Dickens. This was the first novel in which the protagonist was a child. The story is set in England in 1830 and then in parts of America. Oliver Twist is an orphan. He spends his childhood in a poor workhouse. After that he is sent to adult workhouse. The master abuses him of his mother. Due to the unfavorable circumstance there, he runs away from there to London. After escaping from the workhouse, he meets Jack a boy of his age. He takes him to his boss Fagin who trains boys to pick pockets. Oliver is also trained and start working as a pick pocket. One day during pick pocketing an old man, he is caught while rest of the boys run away. He is saved by the old man only. Old man takes care of him until he is recaptured by Fagin. During the escape and capture, Oliver comes to know a truth about his birth and mother. His mother was a wealthy woman who left a great inheritance for his son. The relatives who knows this truth try to keep him away from receiving it. The ending is happy ending as “all’s well that end well” in a true Dickens fashion. Fagin is arrested and sent to jail. Oliver gets the inheritance as well as meets his aunt and stays happily thereafter. I love the character- Oliver Twist who looks realistic.
This book also grabs our attention towards the issues like life of orphans in workhouses, child labor, thievery, and a criminal life. Oliver lives in a terrifying world of slums, crime, hunger, and harsh punishments; and by this he also tries to open his reader's eyes to the plight of real orphans.The language is clear and uniform. Dickens employs polarised sets of characters to explore various dual themes throughout the novel. The novel is full of interesting characters that you will not lose interest throughout the read. This is an exceptional book by Charles Dickens with great storyline that conveys message to all. I really find this book appealing.
* The book summary and image may be of a different edition or binding of the same title.
* Book reviews are added by registered customers. They need not necessarily buy book.
* These books are NOT available for reading online or for free download in PDF or ebook format.
* Price can change due to reprinting, price change by publisher or sourcing cost change for imported books.
www.infibeam.com/Books is the biggest online bookstore in India for sale of books at best price - fiction, literature, audiobooks, study guides, novels,
story books, rare books, textbooks and books by popular authors. These are available in various editions and bindings e.g. paperback and at best discount.