For a proper understanding of Indian political scene as we find it today, a thorough study of the prominent political thinkers is very essential.
The book depicts a beautiful picture of the Indian political thinkers, their career, political life and political thoughts. It studies many great leaders from Raja Ram Mohan Roy to Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan.
The Introduction provides the readers a peep into the manner in which the Indian political ideas were adopted from time to time by the political leaders. Impact of these ideas on the political action of the people, particularly, during the Ram Mohan Roy, Gandhi and Nehru era has been specially emphasised.
Chapter 12 lays overwhelming stress on the political thought of Mahatma Gandhi. His ideas are always the guiding principles of the people of the world, in general, and the people of India, in particular, for all ages i.e., past, present and future. Chapters 17 to 20 deal with the political, social and economic ideas of the socialist and the communist leaders of India in an excellent manner.
The book would be of great value for the students as well as the teachers. Even laymen would enjoy reading the book because of its simple style.
2. Raja Ram Mohan Roy (1772-1833)
3. Dadabhai Naoroji (1825-1917)
4. Mahadeo Govind Ranade (1842-1901)
5. Pherozeshah Mehta (1845-1915)
6. Surendranath Banerjee (1848-1925)
7. Gopal Krishna Gokhale (1866-1915)
8. Bal Gangadhar Tilak (1856-1920)
9. Bipin Chandra Pal (1858-1932)
10. Lala Lajpat Rai (1865-1928)
11. Shri Aurobindo Ghosh (1872-1950)
12. Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)
13. Vinoba Bhave (1895-1988)
14. Jaya Prakash Narayan (1902-1979)
15. Manavendra Nath Roy (1886-1954)
16. Jawaharlal Nehru (1889-1964)
17. Acharya Narendra Dev (1889-1956)
18. Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia (1910-67)
19. Ashok Mehta
20. Dutt, Dange and Ranadive
21. Sayyid Ahmad Khan (1817-1898)
22. Mohammad Iqbal (1873-1938)
23. Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941)
24. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan (1888-1975)
About the Author(s)
Professor N. Jayapalan of Government Arts College, Karur (Tamilnadu) did his post-graduation in History from Pachaiyappa s College, Chennai (Madras University). Later, he did his post-graduation in Political Science from the same University. He got his M.Phil. from the Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli.
He has participated in a number of seminars connected with Indian History and Political Science. He has written more than hundred books, both on History and Political Science. He is one of the most popular authors in Tamilnadu.