Sustainable Economic Development and Environment: India and Other Low Income Economies (LIEs) is an edited Volume of selected research papers mostly presented in the IIDS 1st (Calcutta) and 2nd (Perth) International Conferences on Development and Future Studies. The authors include Raj Kumar Sen, Kartick C. Roy, Suhas Ch. Chakrabartty, Veena Devasthali, Dhirendra Nath Konar, D.D. Guru, N. Manonmoney, Shri Prakash, Sumitra Chowdhury, P.L. Sablok, K.P. Nath, Amar S. Yumnam, K. Nageswara Rao, Alak Ghosh, S.R. Harrison and P.C. Sharma. The present Volume, while highlighting the major issues in sustaining growth and development in low income economies with special reference to India, has focused on different aspects of the environmental problem and its links with the sustainability issue of development in such countries. These include not only the question of population growth, dwindling forest, drought-prone village and island economy, new areas like general information system and common property rights are also discussed. Environmental implications of development are also presented in an input-output framework and in the context of SAARC countries. In short, the present Volume consisting of 14 articles, is expected to serve as an important reference book to researchers, students and teachers of sustainable economic development and economics of environment, and will be of interest to business leaders, policy makers and all those interested in these subjects of ever growing importance.
The International Institute for Development Studies (IIDS) is a multi-country, multi-disciplinary Research Institute with Head office in Calcutta and External Research Centres in countries like Australia, Canada, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Kenya, Malaysia, Malta, Newzealand, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Tanzania, UK, USA etc. It is a Correspondent Institute of the International Center for Economic Growth (ICEG), USA. IIDS is engaged since its inception in 1989, in conducting International/National Conferences/ Seminars, executing Research Projects and publication of Books and Journal. It has completed two major research projects on Indian Capital Market (1993) (Planning Commission, Government of India) and Impact of Economic Reforms on Labour (1994) (ICEG) and recently started another on Labour and Rural Industrialisation A case study in Burdwan District of West Bengal (1996) (Ministry of Labour, Government of India). IIDS is organising bi-annual International Conferences on Development and Future Studies, the first three being held in January, 1992 (Calcutta, India), December, 1993 (Perth, Australia) and July-August 1995 (Helsinki, Finland), while the Fourth one will be held in Malaysia in September, 1997.
1. Major Issues in Sustaining Growth and Development in LDCs
Kartik C. Roy and Raj Kumar Sen
2. Sustainability of Development : A Socio-Economic Perspective
Suhas Chandra Chakrabartty
3. Sustainability of Development for LIEs and Economic Agenda for the 1990s and Beyond
Raj Kumar Sen
4. Towards Sustainable Development
5. Population Growth, Sustainable Development and a Threat to Environment
Dhirendra Nath Konar
6. Sustainability of Development and Economics of Environment in the Context of SAARC Countries
7. Environmental Issues for Attaining Sustainable Development in LDCs
8. Environmental Implications of Economic Development in an Input-Output Framework
Prakash and Sumitra Chowdhury
9. Industrial Growth, Environment and Ecology in India: A Note
10. India s Dwindling Forests: A Threat to Environment and Eco-System
11. Property Rights, the Hills and the Tragedy of the Commons in Manipur
Amar. S. Yumnam
12. Sustainability of Development : Economic and Environmental Study of a Village
K. Nageswara Rao
13. Sustainable Growth for an Island Economy : A Case Study of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
14. GIS and Economic Models as Information Systems for Sustainable Development
S.R. Harrison and P.C. Sharma
List of Contributors
About the Author(s)
Dr. Raj Kumar Sen, Secretary and Treasurer, IIDS and Hony. Secretary and Treasurer, Indian Economic Association, (IEA), is a teacher of Economics in the Rabindra Bharati University, Calcutta, India.
Dr. Kartik C. Roy, Secretary General, IIDS, is a teacher of Economics in the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
|Title:||SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND ENVIRONMENT : INDIA AND OTHER LOW INCOME ECONOMIES (LIES)||Publisher:||Atlantic|
|Author:||Raj K Sen, Kartik C Roy|
|No. of Pages:||160|
* The book summary and image may be of a different edition or binding of the same title.
* Book reviews are added by registered customers. They need not necessarily buy book.
* These books are NOT available for reading online or for free download in PDF or ebook format.
* Price can change due to reprinting, price change by publisher or sourcing cost change for imported books.
www.infibeam.com/Books is the biggest online bookstore in India for sale of books at best price - fiction, literature, audiobooks, study guides, novels, story books, rare books, textbooks and books by popular authors. These are available in various editions and bindings e.g. paperback and at best discount.
Safe & Secure Shopping