This is a revised and enlarged version of the author's book which received wide acclamations in its earlier three editions. It provides a lucid and in-depth introduction to the programming language Fortran 77 which is widely used by scientists and engineers.The fourth edition is completely revised chapterwise and also minor corrections incorporated. A new standard for Fortran called Fortran 90 was introduced in early 90s and compilers for this version of Fortran were sold in early 1995 by computer vendors. All Fortran 77 programs will run without change with Fortran 90 compilers; however some aspects of Fortran 77 have been declared obsolete and will not run on future Fortran compilers_these are explained in this revised edition. An appendix consolidates these features. Fortran 90 is introduced in a new chapter which summarises all its features. About The Author V. RAJARAMAN,
PhD (Wisconsin), F.A.Sc., FNA, FNAE, FCSI, is Honorary Professor, Supercomputer Education and Research Centre, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Earlier (1963- he taught at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. A pioneer in computer science education and research in India, Prof. Rajaraman was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, the Homi Bhabha Award for Research in Applied Sciences, the U.P. Government National Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research, Syed Hussain Zaheer Medal by the Indian National Science Academy and life time contribution award in engineering by the Indian National Academy of Engineering. A recipient of Padma Bhushan, he has published many research papers in reputed national and international journals besides authoring several established books.? Table Of Contents
- Computer Oriented Procedures.
- Flow Charts. Fortran Programming Preliminaries.
- Fortran Constants and Variables.
- Arithmetic Expressions.
- Input-Output Statements.
- Simple Computer Programs.
- Control Statements.
- The DO Statement.
- Subscripted Variables. Elementary Format Specifications.
- Logical Expressions and Decision Tables.
- Fortran Program Examples.
- Functions and Subroutines.
- Processing Files in Fortran.
- Character Manipulation in Fortran.
- Miscellaneous Fortran 77 Features.
- Introduction to Fortran 90 Programming.
- Built-in Function in Fortran.
- Summary of Fortran Features.
- Obsolete Features in Fortran 77.