The phenomenon of consciousness has always been a central question for philosophers and scientists. Emerging in the past decade are new approaches to the understanding of consciousness in a scientific light. This book presents a series of essays by leading thinkers giving an account of the current ideas prevalent in the scientific study of consciousness. The value of the book lies in the discussion of this interesting though complex subject from different points of view ranging from physics, computer science to the cognitive sciences. Reviews of controversial ideas related to the philosophy of mind from western and eastern sources including classical Indian first person methodologies provide a breadth of coverage that has seldom been attempted in a book before. Additionally, chapters relating to the new approaches in computational modelling of higher order cognitive function and consciousness are included. The book is of great value for established as well as young researchers from a wide cross-section of interdisciplinary scientific backgrounds, aiming to pursue research in this field, as well as an informed public.
* Presents the latest developments in the scientific study of consciousness
* Critically reviews different theoretical and philosophical explanations related to the subject
* An important book for both students and researchers in designing research projects on consciousness
About the Author :
Bikas K Chakrabarti has contributed to Models of Brain and Mind: Physical, Computational and Psychological Approaches as an author.
Bikas K Chakrabarti is a senior professor of theoretical condensed matter physics at the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata, India. He received his doctorate in physics from Calcutta University in 1979. Following postdoctoral positions at Oxford University and Cologne University, he joined the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata in 1983. Among others, his key research interests are statistical physics of linear polymers in disordered media and physics of quantum glasses and annealing and, recently, applications of statistical physics to interdisciplinary areas of geoscience (ear
|Title:||Models of Brain and Mind: Physical, Computational and Psychological Approaches||Publisher:||Elsevier Science Publishing Company|
|Author:||Rahul Banerjee, Bikas K Chakrabarti|
|No. of Pages:||253|
* The book summary and image may be of a different edition or binding of the same title.
* Book reviews are added by registered customers. They need not necessarily buy book.
* These books are NOT available for reading online or for free download in PDF or ebook format.
* Price can change due to reprinting, price change by publisher or sourcing cost change for imported books.
www.infibeam.com/Books is the biggest online bookstore in India for sale of books at best price - fiction, literature, audiobooks, study guides, novels, story books, rare books, textbooks and books by popular authors. These are available in various editions and bindings e.g. paperback and at best discount.