Software testing is one of the invisible jobs in the software industry. Everyone has heard of computer programmers but few people realize there are nearly as many people behind the scenes with job titles such as Software Tester, Software Quality Assurance Engineer, Software Test Engineer, and Software Test Technician. Microsoft alone hires hundreds of people for these positions each year. There are also many companies whose sole purpose is providing software test consulting and software testing services. The first edition of Software Testing was published in November 2000. Although the processes and techniques used in testing computer software are timeless, this title will be brought up-to-date by adding a chapter that specifically deals with testing software for security bugs and revisiting the rest of the book to update examples and references. Salient Features
Table of Contents The Big Picture
- Many software testers have no formal training and therefore turn to other resources for insight into best practices.
- Most large software companies are so committed to quality they have one or more testers for each programmer.
- Learn how to find problems in any computer program, how to plan an effective test approach, and how to tell when the software is ready for release.
- Software Testing Background.
- The Software Development Process.
- The Realities of Software Testing.
Applying Your Testing Skills
- Examining the Specification.
- Testing the Software with Blinders On.
- Examining the Code.
- Testing the Software with X-Ray Glasses.
Supplementing Your Testing
- Configuration Testing.
- Compatibility Testing.
- Foreign-Language Testing.
- Usability Testing.
- Testing the Documentation.
- Testing for Software Security.
- Website Testing.
Working With Test Documentation.
- Automated Testing and Test Tools.
- Bug Bashes and Beta Testing.
- Planning Your Test Effort.
- Writing and Tracking Test Cases.
- Reporting What You Find.
- Measuring Your Success.
- Software Quality Assurance.
- Your Career as a Software Tester.