A practical guide to effectively using, customizing, and extending the build engine.
As software complexity increases, proper build practices become ever more important. This essential reference drills inside MSBuild-and shows how to maximize your control over the build and deployment process. Learn how to customize and extend build processes with MSBuild-and scale them to the team, product, or enterprise level with Team Foundation Build.
Discover how to:
* Create and modify MSBuild files-outside the Visual Studio IDE
* Use XML-based syntax to declare dynamic properties and items
* Apply built-in tasks or write your own
* Customize the build process-adding code generation, unit testing, or code analysis
* Use batching and incremental builds to reduce build times
* Invoke external tools in scripts and create reusable files
* Start and stop services
* Set assembly versions and extend the clean process
* Configure, customize, and extend Team Build-and automate build from end to end