The revised and updated second edition of this book gives an in-depth presentation of the basic principles and operational procedures of general manufacturing processes. It aims at assisting the students in developing an understanding of the important and often complex interrelationship among various technical and economical factors involved in manufacturing.
The book begins with a discussion on material properties while laying emphasis on the influence of materials and processing parameters in understanding manufacturing processes and operations. This is followed by a detailed description of various manufacturing processes commonly used in the industry. With several revisions and the addition of four new chapters, the new edition also includes a detailed discussion on mechanics of metal cutting, features and working of machine tools, design of molds and gating systems for proper filling and cooling of castings. Besides, the new edition provides the basics of solid-state welding processes, weldability, heat in welding, residual stresses and testing of weldments and also of non-conventional machining methods, automation and transfer machining, machining centres, robotics, manufacturing of gears, threads and jigs and fixtures.
The book is intended for undergraduate students of mechanical engineering, production engineering and industrial engineering. The diploma students and those preparing for AMIE, Indian Engineering Services and other competitive examinations will also find the book highly useful. New to This Edition :
About The Author J. P. KAUSHISH,
- Includes four new chapters Non-conventional Machining Methods; Automation: Transfer Machining, Machining Centres and Robotics; Manufacturing Gears and Threads; and Jigs and Fixtures to meet the course requirements.
- Offers a good number of worked-out examples to help the students in mastering the concepts of the various manufacturing processes.
- Provides objective-type questions drawn from various competitive examinations such as Indian Engineering Services and GATE.
former Deputy Director, Central Building Research Institute (CBRI), Roorkee, and former faculty, University of Roorkee (now IIT Roorkee) has worked in CBRI in different capacities and was the Head of Building Plants and Processes Division for over two decades. He has received three times the coveted National Award, constituted by the National Research Development Corporation for meritorious innovations. Mr. Kaushish has to his credit seven Indian Patents on his innovative development of machines. He has authored over half-a-dozen books on various aspects of production engineering and has also published fifty research papers in reputed journals. Table of Contents
- 1. Manufacturing: Principles and Processes
- 2. Materials: Structures and Properties
- 3. Ferrous Metals: Irons and Steels
- 4. Non-ferrous Metals and Other Materials
- 5. Foundry Processes: Molding and Casting
- 6. Metal Machining: Processes and Machine Tools
- 7. Electric and Gas Welding Processes
- 8. Soldering and Brazing
- 9. Metal Forming: Hot- and Cold-working and Press-working
- 10. Metal Forging: Smithying and Power Forging
- 11. Powder Metallurgy Processes
- 12. Plastics: Manufacturing and Applications
- 13. Non-conventional Machining Methods
- 14. Automation: Transfer Machining, Machining Centres and Robotics
- 15. Manufacturing Gears and Threads
- 16. Jigs and Fixtures
- 17. Metal Joining Processes: Adhesive Bonding and Mechanical Fastening
- 18. Protective Surface Treatments: Cleaning and Coatings
- 19. Bench Working: Fitting and Traditional Sheet Metal Working