Warrensburg, Missouri, was destined to be more than a one-horse town. When Martin Warren set up his blacksmith shop in 1833, the farmers who gathered there to have their horses shod became the community's first citizens. The town was later named in honor of Warren. During the Civil War, Warrensburg hosted both Union and Confederate troops, who reportedly drilled on the same parade grounds. When the railroad reached Warrensburg on July 4, 1864, the frontier town began to thrive, eventually achieving success in agriculture and, since 1871, in higher education.
Warrensburg, Missouri illustrates the history of the city in more than 200 vintage images, detailing the faces, places, and events that have colored the town. The "healing waters" of Pertle Springs drew visitors from all around, and in 1870, Warrensburg would be made famous by a trial concerning a slain hunting dog, Old Drum.