About the Book
From Alexander the Great to Otto von Bismarck, some of the most reckless and destructive figures in history are exposed in these illustrated biographies. A Wicked History is the definitive biography series about the pirates, tyrants, and warlords who shed the blood of thousands for glory and gold. Photos and illustrations.
- Opening quote by or about the featured villain/villainess
- Historical map, annotated with key locations from person's life
- A Wicked Web featuring allies and enemies
- Historical photos and etchings
- Boxes with additional information
- Photo documentaries: six to eight pages of photos and captions telling the person's life
- Timeline, glossary, additional sources
- Engaging narrative nonfiction written at a very accessible reading level
-A Wicked History biography series is for people who want to know details about a figure in history.
-The books are for middle and high school students and teach about wicked individuals who twisted the course of history.
-The design is sophisticated to attract middle-school and high-school readers, yet the reading level is on target and readily accessible to readers of all levels.
About the Author
Doug Wilhelm is the author of The Revealers and Falling. Born in Oregon and raised in suburban New Jersey, he studied English at Kenyon College in Ohio, then went to work as a newspaper reporter. In 1981, he left his job and traveled to Asia, where he spent two years and became a freelance writer, editor, and teacher of English in Kathmandu, Nepal. He has worked as a journalist for The Boston Globe and once wrote the words for Ben & Jerry's ice cream containers, a job that involved getting paid to eat ice cream. He started writing for young people with a science fiction novel for the Choose Your Own Adventure series. He found he loved writing for young adults, and he's been doing it ever since. Wilhelm often visits schools to talk about The Revealers and the issues it raises. He is six feet, ten inches tall, and lives in Rutland, Vermont.